Thursday, April 5, 2018

Faux negative photograph technique tutorial

I made a card the other day using one of the many techniques that Tim Holtz teaches in the Creative Chemistry 103 online card classes. I absolutely recommend all three Creative Chemistry classes Tim teaches. Creative Chemistry 101, 102 and 103 teach you to get so much more out of your supplies!! For more info click HERE and no I am not affiliated with Tim Holtz or the Online Card Classes website. I just want to share my enthousiasm. It is the best money on crafting I ever spent.

Anyhoooooo, we are here to talk about the faux negative photograph image-ing.

This background is the one I am talking about. I will show you step by step how to do it. Although I am using different stamps today. 

This technique only works on yupo paper, this is a plastic paper that works perfect with alcohol inks. I normally use these three colours for this technique. I apply them to my blending tool and felt and start blotting it on the yupo.

It just occured to me that this looks amazingly like tortoise shell!! Hmmm.... I feel an experiment coming on... 
I cover the whole piece of yupo until I am satisfied with the coverage.


This is what I ended up with. Now this has to completely dry. I always let it air dry, eventhough I am a very impatient crafter
 But the result is more beautiful if you let "nature" take its course lol.


I plan to make a collage immage using these stamps of stamp set CMS080 Artful Artifacts. 
I start out with the Romanesque face.

 You can use black archival ink, but I prefer a light grey one, so the image gets even lighter. 

You see the wet stamped image. Now you have to move quick, although the ink stays wet for quite a while, but the best results you get when the ink is very wet.

I immediately cover the image with a tissue, you could use an absorbant cloth, and press on it without shifting it. You want to lift as much ink off as possible.

As you can see I picked up quite a bit of ink, but the magic happens once we rub over the stamped image with a dry cloth or tissue. 

Put in some elbow grease and this is the result. You have the look of a vintage negative of a photograph... I could leave it like this, but I like to add to my background...

I stamped and blotted and rubbed again. 

And stamped, blotted and rubbed again. Now I can turn it into a card. 


I hope this tutorial will make you give it a try yourself. 


Thank you for stepping by, take care and keep your craft on!

Freddie
xox










17 comments:

  1. Definitely going to have to try this! Great instructions! Thanks for sharing Freddie!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stepping by my friend! I can't wait to see your creations with this technique! Xox

      Delete
  2. Oh this is fantastic thank you for sharing~!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for having a look Donna! And you are welcome :-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful outcome ‼️👏👏👏
    Thanks for reminding me of this technique (*^^*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, you make this technique seem to easy! Thank you so much for sharing Lovely Freddie :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my sweet. It is easy when you know how (Famous quote by Dyan Reavely 😉😉😉) xoxox

      Delete
  5. Awesome tutorial Bestie!! I gotta try this technique xx

    ReplyDelete